Monday, November 11, 2013

Linked Lists and Memory

I was recently made aware of one of classmates blogs, quite excellent in my opinion. Besides being impressed with his choice to self host and code it all on his own, he brought up an interesting thing that I feel may not be getting enough attention, though I realize many of us know about it and it may even be covered in 108 for all I know, but I feel should  be something everyone knows. That being pointers and allocation of memory. My classmate made this point with linked lists though it applies to all data structures. Each value is simply a block of memory which points to another block of memory. All together values and pointers form all data structures, languages such as Python just have them built in and made easy for us. A complex understanding may not be immediately necessary with all the processing power available to us, though it's surely a must for more constrained environments.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing this up actually. Good point that both you and Chance make! Its useful to understand points and memory allocation so that we can improve runtime performance and perhaps create ADTs of arbitrary size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those things that I think some people have a decent understanding of and does occasionally come up, but it's just nothing in depth.

      Delete